Question
Posted by: Odette | 2011/12/12

Mixed Medication

Hi, a friend of mine''''s 13 year old son was in a phyciatric hospital for depression, anger management and ADD.

He has now come home but they have got him on the following medication and i am concerned as this is alot for child of his age and size.

Epilim CR200
Phenerine 50mg
Haloperidol 1,5mg
Fluoxetine 20mg
Lithium 200mg

It scares me that they have him on so much medication!

Please advise.

Odette

Of course your friend should have discussed this with his doctors at the hospital, and they had an absolute professional duty to discuss this with her. This does seems a lot of medication for a kid of 13. None of the drugs mentioned are used to treat ADD, and Anger Management should be treated by a psychologist, probably using a proven method like CBT.
SO we are left with FLuoxetine which is an antidepressant, Lithium which is used to treat Bipolar Disorder and not ordinary depression, and Epilim, otherwise an anticonvulsant for epilepsy, ditto - also used for bipolar disorder and not ordinary depression. Haloperidol is used to treat psychotic illness, but may also be used as a tranquillizer in some situations, especially fi there is felt to be a risk of dependency. I'm not sure what Phenerine might be, as its probably a mizzpelling. Could well be Phenelzine, which is a very old anti-depressant, rarely used these days, which is of an old-fashioned sort called an MAOI, which has risks if combined with various foods and alcohols, and I would never think of using it in a child. Phentermine is a diet drug, unlikely here, and I'm not sure what else could be meant here.
I really think you should encourage the mom to speak with his doctor(s) and ask for a full explanation of all of the drugs - their purpose, benefits, risks and precautions

2
Posted by: Odette | 2011/12/12

Hi Doc,

Thanks for the reply, I will follow up with her too.

The phenerine is apparently used for Parkinsons disease.

I dont know, my heart aches for this kid.

Odette

Reply to Odette