Posted by: Khosi | 2012-09-28

I have been recently dignosed as having MVP the doctor gave me Asprin and Bisoprolol to take for the naxt 6 months, i need to know how serious this condition is or maybe, and if there is something else that can be done to fix this before it becomes serios?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Khosi

Mitral valve prolpase (MVP) is a common condition that varies greatly in severity, from extremely benign to very severe. The vast majority of people who have MVP have it in a very mild form, which does not require treatment. Occasionally patients have more severe prolapse, in which case the mitral valve leaks badly and may need to be repaired or replaced.

Patients with mild forms of MVP generally do not need treatment of any kind. All that is necessary is that your heart should be checked from time to time, with an echocardiogram. If very mild the echocardiogram could be done at intervals of two or three years or more. If more severe, then the echocardiogram should be repeated annually. The best arrangement would be to see a cardiologist for a thorough initial assessment, and then be guided by him or her as to how often the echo should be repeated.

Best wishes, JT