Posted by: lili | 2012-11-13

Mitral valve prolapse in pregnancy

Good day. I was born with mitral valve prolapse. I was pregnant 8 months ago and now I am pregnant again. With my first baby I was on Cipralex (anti-depressant) and everything was fine although I was very tired througout pregnancy. My baby was born still at 39 weeks and 4 days due to a cord accident. I decided to quit my anti-depressants this pregnancy just to be safe. I am 8 weeks pregnant now and I really am struggeling with rapid heartbeat every now and again, I am out of breath quite a lot and I am lightheaded most of the time. Could this be due to the fact that I am not on the anti-depressant anymore or could it be due to the mitral valve prolapse? Please advise and very kind regards!

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Lili

I am very sorry to hear about the problems you have had with pregnancy.
Your symptoms of rapid heart beat, being out of breath and being lightheaded are not due to the fact that you are not on antidepressants, and are probably also not due to mitral prolapse. However, for your own peace of mind, I would see a cardiologist, who can do an ECG and an echocardiogram and give you a good opinion about the condition of your heart, particularly the mitral valve. Most patients with mitral valve prolapse have a very minor form of the condition which is unlikely to give problems during pregnancy, but it would be important for you to have the problem checked.

I hope things go much better with this pregnancy.

Best wishes, JT