Question
Posted by: Gesiggie | 2011-08-09

Mitral repair

Hi Doc,

I am female, 36 years old. I had my mitral valve repair (sternotomy) done in 2008 (congenital defect - annulplasty ring inserted). I know from the last echo that was done in April 2011, that I still have about a Grade 2 mitral valve incompetence.

We moved from Pretoria to Adelaide, about a month ago. How often should I go for sonars now and do I still need to take antibiotics when I go for dental treatments?

I am so glad that we have a Heart expert on Health24 now!

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Gesiggie.

Is that Adelaide Australia or Adelaide Eastern Cape..?

If you are completely well and on no medication of any kind an echo once a year should be enough, provided you let your doctors know if there is any change in your condition. Otherwise every six months should be more than enough.

The current recommendation of the American Heart Association is that all patients who have artificial material used for valve repair in the heart or who have incompletely repaired congenital defects should have antiobiotics for dental and other procedures. For most people that means amoxycillin 2G orally as a single dose an hour before the procedure. If you like I will send you a summary of the AHA recommendations if you let me have a fax number or e mail address

With best wishes

JT