Question
Posted by: inpain | 2008/10/19

mistery headaches

i am 15 years old and have been suffering from serious headaches since i can remember. 2years ago it i had enough and went to an specialist. He sent me to go for an MRI scan, but nothing was abnormal in the results. I was on pills for a while and it went better. but now, 2years later, its back and worse than ever! I can' t think straight anymore, i can' t cope. my head feels like someone is constantly hitting me with a cricket bat. I' m experiencing nausea, I' m shaking, i cant concentrate, my sight is blurry, i forget things the whole time, I' m a lot more moody than ever and I' m really tired all the time. My specialist says its vascular, but then my other doctor says its chronicle..but then the pills they gave me are not working, it' s making the pain worse, now they don' t know what it is or what to do. The pills I' m on now, Dicloflam, is not working at all, it is only making me feel worse, I am experiencing a lot of side-affects (like: nightmares, headaches, memory disturbance, insomnia, psychotic reactions, disorientation, depression... just to name a few) from this pills, it makes things just worse. It feels like I' m going insane. I don' t know what is going on with me, but I really can' t take it anymore!

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear In Pain,

All the symptoms that you have described can occur with severe headaches. Taking medication is certainly not the answer – without a proper diagnosis of the cause of the headache, giving drugs is just guessing and hoping, but it is not the correct way to do things.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.