I am sitting in tears. I made a huge expensive mistake with advertising banners, a stupid spelling error, something which i have never done before and i don' t know what i was thinking. I am pregnant, but know that porridge brain would not be a good excuse for this one.

My boss is furious, which i can obviously understand, but i have admitted fault and offered to pay the R5000 damage, don' t know how but i' ll have to make a plan

How do i deal with this?

Ech ! How annoying and upsetting ! Porridge brain or not, it was not deliberate, and you ae obviously not usually careless. Maybe one should put the planed text for such banners through your word-pocessor and spell-check, though remember that sometimes the wrong word may still be spelled right. And always get a proof and have someone else check it, too.
As Anon says, can't this be fixed, with painting-over or some other way of correcting the error ? Maybe if this was for a special occasion, you can offer to stand up at the beginning and apologise for the error ? Everyone is likely to be highly sympathetic about this. If there's R 5000 involved, those must be many banners or very large ones. Cheer up, this won't happen again while you're around. And the boss should calm down soon

Posted by: Jason | 2009-06-18

Surely it won' t cost another R5000 to re-print? Can' t you try and negotiate with the signage company to redo them at a lower price? They' ve already made enough off you.

I work in the signage industry and I' m very sure it' s not costing them R5000 for the material. Maybe they could re-print at cost for you as it was an honest mistake?

That would ease the burden a bit?

Reply to Jason

It is a vinyl printed banner. It is my fault because i submitted the artwork all complete. Thanks for your encouragment and kind words, i knew that someone would at least feel sorry for me and not tell me i' m just stupid.

What sort of banner is this? Is it one of those material/plastic ones that you hang up somewhere or is it a sign-board or a website banner? Can' t you paint over it at all if it was just a silly spelling error? How come you never got a proof of what the banner will look like before it was finished? Just like any advertising you always get a proof to check for errors and mistakes as such. Very sorry for you. It will eventually pass. You' re only human.

Thanks Kelly, i appreciate your kind words!

Posted by: Kelly | 2009-06-18

Shame man!
Thats sooo crappy!
Well its over and done so no use crying about it all.
Tears is not going to reverse the error.
Maybe you can make a payment arrangement with him... So it won' t be that hard on you.
At least you still in one piece, do something to cheer yourself up tonight and try to forget about this mistake for the rest of the day.

Reply to Kelly