Question
Posted by: Cands | 2008/09/16

Missing Periods

I am on the pill and hate to get my period so I skip it 3 to 4 months a time by just not taking the white pills. Is it healthy to skip periods like this, I' d hate to continue to do it if it were dangerous to my health.

Dear Cands
The continuous use of the pill means that you are getting about 28 percent more estrogen hormone exposure than someone that has a bleed every month. At the moment there are too few scientific studies done to be sure that continuous use of the pill doesn’t increase risks of getting blood clots from the Pill or breast cancer or increase your risk for osteoporosis. One of the reasons we believe that it is a good thing to bleed every month is that if the endometrium is thicker due to constant esterogen stimulation there could be a risk for developing endometrial cancer. A possible safer option would be to get a Mirena intra uterine apparatus that would suppress menstruation in the uterus. Please discuss with your gyne?

1
Posted by: Natashia | 2009/01/08

I have missed my monthly periods for 2 months now and I have done 3 pregnancy tests which all tested negative. What could be re cause of this? Do I need to get a blood test?

Reply to Natashia