Question
Posted by: Lin | 2010/08/05

Missed post - #949

Evening prof!
I was diagnosed with Bipolar Manic Depression 2009 January. I was on meds until March this year. I stopped cold turkey. Just couldn''''t take all the side effects of it. Stupid, I now! Psychiatrist wanted to start reducing it anyway.
I was just wondering what the chances are of it returning. Or do I have to watch for the "  symptoms"  for the rest of my life?
I take a dip every now and then, but haven''''t really been that low again.
Thank You for your time.

Sopping cold turkey is never a good idea, as I suppose you realize now. If there are difficulties with side-effects, whatever, always discuss this with your shrink and get advice on how to change doses or drugs, or at least how to come off the meds as gracefully as possible.
Only the shrink who has assessed you properly can answer your question. But if Bipolar Disorder was properly diagnosed, then it is almost always, indeed by definition, a recurring condition that persists, which is why some mood stabilizing drug(s) may be recommended for long-term use, to reduce the frequency and severity of future episodes.
Modest variation in mood is normal in all of us. If the diagnosis was made on the basis of a first episode of depression, this my not be a reliable diagnosis. With a single episode of depression, quite a number of people have one or perhaps two episodes only.

1