Question
Posted by: steve | 2009/01/18

Missed pill

My wife age 54 last period started 17 days ago. Last night missed taking her Triphasil Pill. Took two tonight (Yesterday and todays). What is the risk,and what should she be doing now to reduce risk of pregnancy ?

Dear Steve

In view of your wife’s age (54) I’m extremely surprise that she is still on a contraceptive and not on simple HRT. The risks of contraceptive use at this age should be clearly weighed against that of the safer HRT options. The possibility of spontaneous conception is extremely low and therefore most gynaecologists would not consider contraception for patients over the age of 50.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim