Question
Posted by: Jade | 2010/07/09

Misscariage after 5 weeks

Hi doc,

I found out I was pregnant last week Friday (about 4 weeks then) after a blood test. (I have been on fertility treatment the 3 months prior, but nothing happened - Clomid and Progesterone) On Monday my doc asked me to go for another test to check the count and he advised me that it has gone down and he thinks I would lose it. Today I did after heave cramping and it was a heavier period than usual. 2 weeks ago I had a bad fall and was bitten by a stray cat that got my hand heavily infected - I was in hospital for a week on antibiotics to get rid of the infection and also many tabs afterwards. I have a few questions regarding all of this. Firstly - do you think I lost the pregnancy because of everything my body went through before and all the meds I took? Secondly - Do I have to have anything done after the " miscarriage" ? Thirdly - How quick can we start trying again? Do I handle this as if it was a period? And lastly - is there something I can take to increasemy hormone levels as the problem is that I didn''t ovulate before? Or has it maybe corrected itself now that it seems I did manage to fall pregnant a month after the treatment?

Thanks so much!!!

The miscarriage is probably not related to the fall or the cat bite. You should see your gynae to check if the miscarraige was complete, as you may need a womb scrape.It is usually suggested that you wait at least 3 months before trying again. It is worth waiting a few months and seeing whether you ovulate before going back on Clomid.

2

Posted by: cassidy | 2010/07/11

Hi there. Im so sorry to read what you have been through. I had a misscarriage in March, was 7 weeks pregnant at the time. I went for blood tests Friday, the sunday I stepped in a hole, tore off every single ligament around my ankle, had to go to emergency room, I told them I suspect Im pregnant, but the still took xrays, gave me an injection (trusted them, they are professionals after all),then a week later I had the misscarriage, their response, well why are you upset its not like you were planning this pregnancy and you have two already, surely thats enough. My gynae said i can fall pregnant instantly as you are more fertile now after a misscarriage, but she advices that i at least have one period (easier for due dates and other calculations), my first period came only about 8 weeks later, and I found out a week ago, Im pregnant again. If you are unsure, go back to your gynae after a week, so they can do a scan to see if everything is back to normal and a blood test to see if your levels have normalised. Good luck and I hope you will hear some good news very soon

Reply to cassidy