Question
Posted by: Joe | 2012/05/02

Misdiagnosed?

My fiance is being treated for bipolar disorder for the past couple of years. Recently the lows started to get worse and the medication was changed. It''s better now but the severity of a low episode is still excessive in my opinion. She would go to work in the morning and usually about lunchtime leave because she''s not feeling well. At home she will crash and be in and out of sleep. And when sleeping, basically comatose. When not sleeping speech will be slurred, movements unstable and uncoordinated. At the worst, which happens less frequently, she will hallucinate. Additionally I have noticed that when she has one of these episodes (when she wakes up in the morning) that she smells differently, almost as if she has been drinking, though I know she has not. Her personnel manager contacted me today and asked me the exact thing, has she been drinking? I told him, no she hasn''t and if he does not believe me he should next time have her take a breathalyzer test, although that would psychologically not be good for her.

So, we''ve been together for six years and once again I found myself googl''ing symptoms, but only find severe depression, nauseua, etc. as bipolar symptoms. Yes, she has those symptoms, but no medical sites mentions bad coordination, comatose and slurry speech specifically. And now I am starting to wonder if she hasn''t been misdiagnosed?

Sounds like i'd be a reall good idea to get a second opinion from a second psychiatrist. ( and if the diagnosis and treatment has been from a GP, then it is ESSENTIAL that she see a psychiatrist for a properly expert re-assessment - possible bipolar disorder is too complex a condition to be left entirely to GP care.
There are other possible diagnoses ; but there is also a very real possibility that she is on too high a dose of one or more of her meds, which can cause exactly the sort of symptoms you describe.

2

Posted by: Maria | 2012/05/02

Joe, google can be a dangerous thing. IIt''s quite possible that she could have bipolar as well as another medical condition. I suggest you take her for a second opinion from a different psychiatrist ASAP, as well as a full physical checkup.

Reply to Maria