Question
Posted by: addult | 2010/03/18

misdiagnosed

I have misdiagnosed by 3 specialists as having ADHD, GAD and OCD. However I diagnosed myself as having bipolar because i get mania at times. How do i sue the original prescribing doc who put me on meds that caused mania and how do i sue the government? I need the money for a proper doc and meds. Thank you

I understand that you feel disappointed and angry. But, without in any way defending prople who may misdiagnose others or give unhelpful treatment, do think carefully of what course of acrtion would be most useful for you.
The sort of legal actions you are thinking of are enormously expensive and take forever, and it can be surprisingly difficult to prove such allegations - its not too hard for the doc / government to prove that they acted with good intentions, or that the situation may not be as you say. The process is most unpleasant for you. And even in the unlikely event that you win, its usually enormously les satisfying than one hopes it will be.
It would be better to try to find a shrink you trust and get on well with, to re-assess the whole situation and help to find the best way for you to be properly helped NOW.
As I look back on my life, there are so many people who have hurt or harmed me. And it has done me far more good to leave them behind them and to move on. I have not forgiven them ( and see no value whatever in doing so ) and I do not forget what they did ; but there is no vaue to me in tying myself to them by weaving bonds of bitterness to keep them active in my life rather than making them powerless and moving on.

1