Posted by: Lee | 2012-02-24

Miscarried,dont understand the cause

Dear Doc,I miscarried at 16 weeks 30.01.2012 the baby had the umbilical cord wrapped around the ankle 3 times but early this week my gaeno shared the available results with us stating that i had an infection that is influenza or caused by influenza.prior to the day i miscarried i never had flu.these findings are jus very unclear to us,do you have any suggestions or advise for me?love Lee

Dear Lee
I am sorry to hear about the loss that you have experienced but it is important to know that there are many different causes as to why this has occurred. One of the things simply could be that the umbilical cord may have been wrapped too tightly on the ankle and that had stopped the blood supply to the fetus and this could have caused the miscarriage. Your doctor had mentioned that you had influenza and certainly even if it is asymptomatic, viral infections can cause miscarriages as well. If however your miscarriage occurred very quickly and very painless then the other important cause to rule out is an incompetent cervix. I would strongly suggest that in your next pregnancy you have a shirodkar inserted at 13 weeks of gestation. You must also be aware that even if all the investigations are done you will find the cause in probably only 50% of the time.
Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo