Question
Posted by: Angela | 2009/12/11

Miscarried at 6 weeks

Hi Doc, I hope you have answers for my questions. On the 3rd I started bleeding while 6 weeks pregnant. Went to gynae and he did a scan and advise that the baby looks fine and he had a strong heart beat. Friday the bleeding got even worse and on Saterday gynae did another scan and baby was still fine. During the course of Saterday and Sunday I miscarried. Went for scan on Monday and we only saw an empty sac. How is it possible to loose a baby so quickly if he had such a strong heart beat? Gunae advised that the yolk sac was bigger than usaual and put me in a high risk for miscarriage. Please advise

A miscarriage has to do with contraction of the uterus prematurely, and sometimes the baby is even born with a heartbeat, though it would not survive for long, so the finding of a good heartbeat does not mean that you will not miscarry.

2