Question
Posted by: Lily | 2012/09/03

Miscarried and Terrified

I had a miscarraige. I was +/- 6 weeks and found out last Tuesday i was pregnant. I had bleeding but was told i had a bad infection and was treated with antibiotics. Thursday i had cramping and worsening bleeding and went to the hospital. They did a scan and told me that there is no baby so i have miscarried. They dont know when or why but they gave me 6 pills to take to bring the excess blood down out of my womb.

The gynae said that i must come back on Thursday and if the blood is still there they will do a D &  C but i''ll be awake and it will be painful. Im so traumatised by this and dont want the scrape. What are my rights? Are there any alternatives? Wont my body cleanse itself?

Please help. This is my 1st miscarraige and hopefully my last. I have one healthy 5 year old and this baby would have been my second.

If there are retained products of conception and you don't have a D&C then you run the risk of excessive bleeding and infection. Some miscarriages are complete but not all of them. You have the right to do as you please with your body, but you should know the risks. Presumably if you are consulting a doctor, you would wish to follow his/her medical advice.

8
Posted by: Tumi | 2012/09/06

Hi Ciara,

2 years ago, I had a molar pregancy wsa terrified when I was told that I needed to undergo D& C. I also didn''t have medical aid at the time and was treated professionaly at a government hospital. I didn''t even pay a cent, my doctor referred me to gynae in an Academic hospital and had the D& C the very same night. I was under aneasthetic though and didn''t feel anything after the procedure. My advice is, listen to your doctor as not doing procedure might have lifetime effects.

Reply to Tumi

Posted by: cat | 2012/09/04

I am so sorry about your loss.

I had a scrape just after my miscarriage at 9 weeks and it really was not painfull - just a bit uncomfortable.

I will suggest that you get one done if the Doc told you to because if there is anything left in your womb you could get infections.

Good Luck.

Reply to cat
Posted by: Nini | 2012/09/04

I totally understand your decision, and truth be told I''d probably do the same.

I have never had the D& C done, but I do know a few women who have, and all of them have confirmed that it was not painful, only slight pain afterwards - which I guess is normal.

But then again, who knows. I think first getting medical Aid is a very wise decision. That will be the best thing you can do for your family, especially for your kids.

Good luck and I really sincerely hope that you dont struggle when you guys start trying again.

Reply to Nini
Posted by: Lily | 2012/09/03

Hi Ciara

Thanks and im sorry for your loss aswell.

To avoid any more pain, im not going to have the scrape, just going to trust mother nature to cleanse my body as it is intended to do. If that fails i will seek alternative treatment.

Sorry you had to go through that Ciara.

Reply to Lily
Posted by: Ciara | 2012/09/03

HI Lily
am sory about your that

They gynae is right it is so womb scrap is so painfull dear, i also miscarried at 6 weeks, it was horrible

wish you all the best

Reply to Ciara
Posted by: Lily | 2012/09/03

Hi Nini

Thank you very much. it has been quite a rollercoaster of events.

No, thats my fear, the gynae told me that i will be awake during the procedure and that it will be painful. I dont have medical aid so im guessing that they dont give anesthetic due to it being such a quick procedure.

I''ve made up my mind though, im not going to do it. No way am i subjecting myself to that.

Hubby and i will try again in the new year. For now we''re looking at medical aids.

I wish you all the best on your bouncing baby boy Nini! They are just too adorable!

Reply to Lily
Posted by: Nini | 2012/09/03

Oh Lily I am terribly sorry!!!!!

What a terrible turn of events. My thoughts are with you.

Just to let you know that the doc doesnt really answer any posts here, maybe once every 2 - 3 weeks or so.

To my knowledge a D& C should not be painful. Your doctor is required to use sufficient aneasthetic, and sometimes even to sedate you. But he should discuss this with you. Some doctors to the procedure in theatre, others do it on an outpatient basis. Either way he will use something to prevent pain.

I wish you the best of luck!

Reply to Nini