Question
Posted by: Tracy | 2011/06/20

Miscarriage questions

Hi GynaeDoc.

complicated story.....

On 8June I had my IUD removed at 8:30am. I felt absulotely fine all day but at 7pm I was in agony with cramps for about an hour with some light bleeding. I thought this could be from having IUD out. The pain went away quickly but the bleeding continued although I felt 100% fine. On 12th June the cramps came back again and I was in agony again. Saw Dr next day (13th) and scan showed 3cm bleeding ovarian cyst. He suggested a blood pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy just in case. The test came back positive and Gynae suggested another test 48hrs later to rule out ectopic pregnancy. The cramps lasted from 12-15June and still bleeding, but not a lot. Blood test on 13June showed preg hormone levels approx 1700. On 15June the levels dropped to 800 and Dr said that the pregnancy would not continue. The scan on 15June also showed that the cyst had grown to 4cm and Gynae said that after miscarriage the cyst will shrink away on its own.

I was probably only about 4wks pregnant at the time of the miscarriage.

On 18June I was still bleeding and blood had changed from dark brownish colour to red again and today I''m still bleeding and I feel a bit crampy. Dr has suggested that I have a 3rd blood test to see for sure that it was a miscarriage.

How long do you think the bleeding will continue for after miscarriage at 4-5weeks? How do I know if it''s bleeding from the miscarriage or from the bleeding cyst?

Gynae said it wouldn''t be necessary to do a D& C after miscariage so early.

I would agree with another blood test. If this has not dropped, an ectopic should be considerd. Bleeding can continue for several weeks after a miscarriage if you don't have a D&C. It may be worth considering this if the bleeding persists.

2

Posted by: Tracy | 2011/06/22

Dont worry to answer. I am going in for D& C tomorrow.

Reply to Tracy