Question
Posted by: MG | 2010/08/24

Miscarriage and D& C

(some background) Found out a couple of weeks ago that I am pregnant. (very early on in the pregnancy) On Wed 11 Aug started bleeding (nothing heavy, but there when i wiped) Was taken to the emergency room, where the doctor confirmed that the cervix was still closed. But advised me to see my Gyn. the following day. Thursday 12 Aug, went to see my Gyn, did a ultra sound, and confirmed the pregancy at 6 weeks 3 days. He said that it would be to early to see a heart beat, but we did detect a very faint heart beat after all. Said the pregnancy looks healthy, and gave me Duphaston tablets. Made a follow up apointment for in 2 weeks. Bleeding continued, still not heavy enought to use anything. Not much pain either. Thursday 18 August the bleeding got alot worse during the evening. And I started getting clots. Was taken back to the Gyn, but he was not availbale so saw his associate. Did another Ultra Sound. The Uterus was larger than the previous week (consistent with just over 7 weeks) But could not detect anything inside the Uterus. (no yolk sack), Was told to wait the weekend and see my gyn on Monday (23 Aug). He did not seem to sure to make an informed conclusion. On Friday Evening during the night I got really bad cramps and pain, and the bleeding became even heavier. Saturday morning the bleeding was really bad. Husband phoned doctor, and was told to take me to the hospital. No ultra sound was done, but on internal exam the cervix was still closed, but was very painful, with alot of bleeding and clots. I was sent in to have a D& C, and was discharged on the same evening. I was given some Synap Forte.
My Question is: Should i have any pain after the D& C, currently I get some really bad cramps, and pains in my left side. Sometime when I sit down, a sharp pain hits me, that I actually cannot sit down. I have also had some heavy bleeding since i left the hospital on Saturday. Is this normal, and for how long should I bleed after the D& C. I have a follow up apointment with my gyn in 3 weeks time.

You could have bleeding for 3 or 4 days after a D&C, but it should get less each day. The same applies to the pain.

4
Posted by: Ms | 2010/08/30

I went though the same thing (31 Jul). It is totally normal I also panicked and went to the gynae earlier than my follow up appointment. Its a month I still have pains on the left side and sharp pains that I cant even stand straight up. It will all go away in time. No need for panic but go check it out in any event.

Reply to Ms
Posted by: Racoon | 2010/08/25

Did the doc check for an ectopic??? Maybe you should ask him about it? Has he checked you hCG levels after the D& C?? I would be VERY concerned about an ectopic pregnancy.

Reply to Racoon