Posted by: Amanda | 2010-05-30

miscarriage after mirena

After 3 very easy pregnancies and births I had the Mirena put in. It was in for 3 years and 1 month. after 2 years I started to get sin1 cells on my cervix after papsmears the doctor tested for the humanpap virus and the tests came back negative, i also suffered sever nausea and cramping and decided to have the iud removed that was in Feb 09. Waited 3 months to try to get pregnant. In October I was pregnant and at the 8 week sonar the doctor saw that the sac had developed to 8 weeks but the embryo only to 6 weeks and there was no heart beat - I was devasted and had to have a D/C, the doctor explained it could be a chromosomal problem with the pregnancy, no tests were done, strange since my previous 3 pregnancies were normal, uncomplicated, natural births. I waited 3 months after d/c to concieve again and was pregnant immediately, again at 8 weeks sonar, no baby this time 8 week sac with placenta but it was empty. I am concerned that this is due to the mirena and I will not be able to have any more children. I''m 33. Is there something I can do.

The Mirena would ot cause this. As you have had two similar problems, I would suggest that you have some tests- a glucose tolerance test and a anticardiolipin antibody. Your doctor will know what this is.