Posted by: LM | 2012-11-21

Good day Doc
I trust that you are well. Can you please give me advise on my situation? I had two miscarriages this year. Both before 8 weeks. My BMI is 25. The only meds that i use is eutyrox 0.75 but the doc said all is in order i need to keep drinking the meds. With the second miscarriage i did use progesterone. I went for a multiple miscarraige blood test and all was well. We are waiting for the result for the FSH test on the fetus but they said something like they cannot find the sells they need to test again. What do you think might be wrong? What do you suggest we do? Should i start drinking progesterone after ovulation of go for hcg injections? Or do you think we need to go for fertility treatment or vitro? I am desperate. My gynae is not very clear of what to do next.

Dear LM
Recurrent first trimester miscarriages are somewhat difficult to evaluate accurately as a fair number of these cases are due to chromosome abnormalities. However a full and thorough investigation of your hormonal system as well as your auto immune system, should these test prove to be negative i would attempt natural conception again, but in addition consider using low dose cortisone therapy together with progesterone supplementation as soon a positive pregnancy test appears. The additional use of low dose aspirin is debatable at this stage but can be introduced if your blood investigation suggest the possibility of an anti phosphate syndrome. If you happen to have a third first trimester miscarriage, than the treatment option of invitro fertilisation may be a reasonable option to consider.
Answered by Dr M.I.Cassim