Posted by: Liz | 2009-07-08

We have been trying to get pregnant for 4 years now. In Dec' 08 we found out i was pregnant but at the end of Jan' 09 i lost it. What i whant to know is this - my blood group is O+ and hybby' s blood group is B- can this be the ploblem.

Also we dont have a medical aid and realy whant to have a baby is there any over the counter fertility drug we can use that is not to expensive that may help us

Dear Liz

It is unlikely that this combination of blood group would directly contribute to the miscarriage and there are numerous more common causes for spontaneous miscarriages. Most fertility drugs require prescriptions and unfortunately I am not aware of any registered over the counter ovulatory induction drug that could be used. There are numerous supplements that claim to be fertility enhances available over the counter but there is insufficient scientific evidence that they would directly improve fertility problems particularly in the case of female infertility.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim