Posted by: Anon | 2009-03-13

Mirena - YES or NO - All opinions needed

Hi, I am 26. Was on Depo for about 6 years (was wonderful!), but decided to end it as I would like to start a family within the next 3-5 years and heard that Depo takes very long to leave your system.

I have been on the Triphasil pill for about 5 months now (just to regulate my periods after the Depo. I dont like it at all and have stopped all intercourse for now since I dont trust it - used the morning after pill probably 3 times already just incase). This is putting pressure on my relationship.

I Saw my Gynae this week for my annual check up and he recommended the Mirena since it is probably the most effective contaceptive and on removal you can fall pregnant immediately.

I read through most of your archives and found more bad experiences and info on the Mirena, than good. At first I was very excited, but now I am not so sure anymore... and it costs quite alot of money, so I want to make the right decision from the start.

1. Taking everything into consideration, would you recommend this to anyone in my position? Is it really as wonderful as they say? Would you vote overwhelmingly YES or NO?

2. I am very paranoid about falling pregnant, right now that would be my worst nightmare (I am an a good 4 year relationship, but we are just not ready for a baby). I read that some people' s Mirena' s have just dissapeared!? How is that possible? I would probably be so paranoid that I would want to check if I feel the strings almost daily. When and how often should one check if the strings are still in tact? Surely you would notice if it " fell"  out? I am worried that people seem to lose it without noticing... is this a common problem?

3. Should I rather just go back on the 3month Depo Povera injection which should, after ending it, also take up to about a year to work out of my system anyway? I am just worried that it might take really long for me to fall pregnant after the Depo - this is the main reason I have ended it, is this really such a concern? With regards to falling pregnant after ending Mirena or Depo, how do they compare?

4. For the past 6 years I had almost no periods, only now since being on the pill, it comes around very lightly. It seems like the biggest problem with the Mirena, is the irregular bleeding patterns, at first as well as suddenly after 3-4 years of having it. Looking at my history, is it likely that I will also experience such irratic bleeding patterns?

5. Have you - as a gynaecologist - ever heard of or seen anyone that fell pregnant with this contraceptive? And if so, why did it happen or what would the main causes be for it to fail?

Sorry that this post is so long, but there are some questions that are not answered in the Mirena booklet and I am almost to scared to see what any other websites come up with! I really want to do my homework on this. Is there any articles or websites you can refer me to as well?

Thank you very much!

1. I think the Mirena would be a good choice for you, though everyone is different. The commonest side effect is irregular spotting. This can occur with Depo as well though.

2. It is very uncommon for the Mirena to fall out. Remember that people tend to report problems but not say anything if they are happy. Once a month is usually often enough to check the strings.

3. There is a long return to fertility with Depo and this can be a problem. This would not be the case with the mirena.

4. It is not possible to predict how you will react to the Mirena. Your non-existent periods are probably related to the Depo.

5. I have not personally seen anyone fall pregnant with the Mirena, but there is a reported failure rate of about 3 in 1000, which is very low. Google Mirena if you want more information.