Question
Posted by: Tracey | 2011/07/04

Mirena Woes

Hi Gynaedoc

I had mirena inserted in December due to ongoing bleeding. It was this or womb ablation and sterilisation since I do not want kids and I am 45 anyway.
It hurt like heck and after the fact I was told I should have been given some womb softening meds etc.

It is now July and I am still bleeding erratically. Is this normal? Every few days it starts and then it is low-grade, then stops and then back again.

I am on Angeliq (had blood test to confirm meno) - do I have to take it at the same time each day, I was told not.

I have thrush a lot (OK I am insulin resistant and working on that) but could it be the mirena?

And fourth question I am allergic (the itchiness is unbearable) to ALL the sanitary towels and panty liners in the shop. I am looking at getting organic ones. Any comments on this?

Tracey

Unfortunately the erratic bleeding is normal and can go on for up to 9 months. You do not have to take HRT at exActly the same time every day. Have a look at the Top 5 questions for ways of preventing recurrent thrush.
I presume that you have used sanitary towels throughout your reproductive life. It is unlikely for an allergy to start after many years.

1