Question
Posted by: YM | 2011/04/05

Mirena vs Mercilon

Hi Dr,,

I''ve had the Mirena for almost 3 yrs now.. I had a cyst which was removed via Laparoscopy, had another one, I was given Provera tablets, it went away, had another cyst, Gynea monitored it and it just went away... I want to get the Mirena removed! I have acne on my back, and chest and my face.. which was never that bad, and I never had acne on my body.. The only reason the Dr recommended the Mirena for me was that I have a family history with Trombosis, heartattacks and strokes... Now that I want the Mirena removed, is there any pill that you could recommend that''s safe for me.?? I was on Mercilon before I fell pregnant and before the Mirena, and I was sooo happy with it....
Thank you doc,,,

If you have risks factors for strokes and thrombosis then no oestrogen containing pill would be advisable, unless you are prepared to take that risk.That leaves you with the Mini-pill and the injectable and the copper IUCD.

1