Posted by: Nadine | 2011-05-25

Mirena side effects?

I have been experiencing headaches as well as lower abdominal pain and mood swings. my GP sent me to I a gyna which I visited yesterday, as was told that the headaches came from high blood pressure as it was a little high. But couldnt find anything else in regards to abdominal pain and mood swings.

Can hypertension and abdominal pain be side effects of the mirena?

The Mirena device can definately cause lower abdominal pain, due to irritation. I am unable to find any relation of Mirena with headaches, hypertension and mood swings. The Mirena is very lightly coated with progesterone and the only hormonal side-effects are lighter menstrual bleeding and spotting in the first month. Refer to the following link for more details about this device:

Re-consult your doctor for blood tests and evaluation of your blood pressure, in order to find the cause for your symptoms. Unfortunately, there are a multitude of conditions that can cause your symptoms and I am therefore, unable to provide you with accurate medical advice.