Question
Posted by: Mommy | 2009/10/21

Mirena: dizziness a possible side-effect

I had the Mirena fitted in March 2007 and had no side effects and my menstruation stopped after about 3 months. This year I started to get extreme dizzy spells - the earth turns and I start to throw up. I also feel disoriented for days afterwards. I went to 3 different ENT' s and already had numerous tests done: MRI, hearing, balance, blood, etc. I have googled dizziness with Mirena and a lot of complaints came up. My gynea got very irritated with me when I asked him about it and refused to believe that there can be any connection. The last 3 months I have these dizzy-attacks almost exactly the same time of the month - can it be that it is cycle-related? The last ENT suggested that it maybe the start of Menierre' s disease and prescribed Cortizone plus Antiviral medication to use when I have these attacks. The cortizone definitely lessens the unslaught of the attack, but I still fee depressed and helpless with this illness, because I still do not feel sure that this is indeed Menierre' s. What if it is something that has been missed? Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. I am a mom of 2 toddlers and also work fulltime. I am very active and healthy, but this thing is really getting my under.

I don't think, from the severity of your symptoms that it would be related to the Mirena. Also the fact that you had the Mirena for a long time before your problem started makes it unlikely. There seems to be a response to the cortisone, so I would take advice from the ENT people.

3