Question
Posted by: Candice | 2011-08-30

Mirena Disaster

Hi Gynaedoc
I had Mirena inserted 9 months ago.I''d like to know:
How common is it for the device to dislodge and land in the cervix?
Is this likely to be incorrect insertion or natural migration?
Is it abnormal to be on HRT and have Mirena (diagnosis was onset menopause &  ongoing bleeding).
Is this considered to be an emergency if you presented at a trauma unit with extreme pelvic pain, high BP and rapid pulse? Or can you just happily go along albeit in bad pain?
Can a dislodged Mirena cause any damage internally?
Does Mirena cause weight gain although it apparently does not?
Do many women have problems or is it just a dream device with only the odd problem of ongoing bleeding or cramping?
Can IBS affect the Mirena in any way?
Does cortisone (Asthma) affect the Mirena in any way?
Does being overweight affect it in any way?
Do any drugs affect it in any way?
I have had it out now but I wish to get your opinion please.

The chance of migration is probably about 1%. If it is incorrect insertion, it would happen within a few weeks of insertion.
You can use HRT and the Mirena in certain circumstances.
The pain, high blood pressure and rapid pulse would need assessment. Some of the reasons might not be serious and some might.
If the Mirena perforates through the uterus into the abdomen, it can cause damage.
It is difficult to say whether weight gain is related to the Mirena or not. Most women do not experience this, though every woman reacts differntly. Many women have irregular spotting.
I don't think that drugs will affect the Mirena, neither does being overweight. It is possible that IBS may be worse with the Mirena.