Question
Posted by: Suzanne | 2009/12/08

Mirena device

Dear Doc
I had my Mirena device replaced last week and I am a bit concerned about the procedure that the Gynae followed. My previous Gynae used a sterile tray, which this one did not use. She also did not do a Pap Smear. Should she have sent the device that she removed for MC& S? I have been getting fequent infections that has not cleared with using Diflucan that my GP prescribed for the past 3 months. She only precribed a cream. Was my previous Gynae just very thorough? She unfortunately moved away and I had to find a new one. This one also did not do a breast exam. I felt a bit neglegted to be honest.

You do not have to have a pap smear with a Mirena insertion. If you are low risk, a pap once every two years is fine. It is not routine to send the Mirena for MC&S, though it might be helpful if you have recurrent infection. Many gynaecologists do a breast exam as you are there, but breast problems are not really part of a gynaecologist's field.

1