Question
Posted by: Mary | 2012/01/17

Mirena and PMS

I have had a Mirena for 10 months. Every now and again it feels like I have the worst PMS. Crying and mood swings, with no other specific cause in " general life" . Is it possible to still get PMS with a Mirena? The problem is that I have no other " period"  symptoms - a sore back or breasts etc, so the " PMS"  hits me completely unexpectedly. So two questions: 1) Is it possible that this emotional-ness is indeed PMS and 2) if so, is there a way to map/predict this, as I have no other symptoms and the " PMS"  does not occur regularly on a cycle.

(I did try the Mirena help line, but it is " closed" ).

Thank you so much!

Bianca

If the "PMS" does not occur cyclically, then it is not PMS. You could have mood swings related to the Mirena but it would not be possible to predict when these will occur.

1