Question
Posted by: Annie | 2008/12/05

Mirena and Myoma

Hi. I went for a gynae check-up today and was told I have a myoma on my uterus (baarmoeder). I had a mirena inserted about 1 year and 10 months ago. My immediate question is, could there be a link between the mirena and the myoma? I have read so many articles about intra-uterine devices and fibroids for instance. My mom' s a good example of this. She had nova-t, coppa-t etc and because of all these had to have large fibroids removed. Should I be concerned about the myoma and it' s health risk to me?
Annie

If anything the Mirena will shrink the fibroid. The risks to you depend on the size of the fibroid and your symptoms.