Posted by: Judith | 2012-10-25

Mirena and Mitral Valve Prolapse

I have Mitral Valve Prolapse, I am 45, i smoke and drink socially. It was diagnosed 5 years ago, i had check up in September 2012. There has been no change and no enlarging of heart at all. I did not think to ask him about the Mirena. I would like to have the mirena , can i do it? I had the copper T in, hated it, then changed to Yaz, hated that, so my next option is the Mirena>  I recently had the -|- sackie virus too, but am ok now>  so is the Mirena safe

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Judith,

It sounds like you have mild mitral valve prolapse and there is absolutely no reason why you should not have the Mirena if your gynaecologist recommends it. It should cause no problems at all as far as your heart is concerned.

Best wishes, JT