Question
Posted by: AM | 2011/08/18

Mirena and irregular &  strange periods

Hi! I had my Mirena removed just over a year ago (after having it in for about 3.5 years). While I had it in, I had no period at all. Since removing it, my period has been very irregular (before the mirena it was very regular). We are trying to concieve but it being so irregular it is very difficult to predict when ovulation happens. Besides the period being irregular, when I do have it, I bleed for about 3 days, then have no period for about 3 days, then have another day or two of bleeding (not bright red blood like the first time, looks like old blood). How does that work? It''s been happening like that since removing the loop. I did mention it to my gynae when I saw him a few months ago, but he didn''t seem worried. I am also confused - do I count the start of my new cycle when my period starts the first time? It seems like my body isn''t functioning like it use to before my first pregnancy. I know that I''m almost 5 years older than I was then - but could things change so much? I''m 32 now.

A year after removal of the Mirena is too long for this to still be related. You could have a cyst oir a hormone imbalance. See your gynae about it.

1