Question
Posted by: YM | 2010-04-29

Mirena &  Heavy periods every 2 weeks

Hi Doc..

I''ve had the Mirena for 1yr &  6 months.. I''ve noticed acne on my back, I have terrible lower back pain, I get my period every 2 weeks (heavy bleeding) and it lasts for 8 - 10 days..

When my husband and I have intercourse I bleed....

I was on Mercilon before I had my baby, which was an absolute breeze, My Ginye does''nt want to put me back on the Birth Control pill, because we have a history of blood clots in the family..

Please help.. I really need advice....

You should see your gynae for a pap smear as bleeding after sex suggests a problem with the cervis. You should also be checked for problems with the uterus and ovaries. If these are all normal, then you should consider something other than the Mirena for contraception. The injectable would be one option.