Question
Posted by: www | 2009-01-22

Mirena &  bleeding constantly

Hi Doc,

I had an ectopic pregnancy in August and at the beginning of October I decided to have the mirena inserted as I had only heard positive things about it.

I used to have very normal (not heavy at all) menstruation for 4 days before the insertion. Since then, I didn' t have any spotting for the first 2 weeks, then had a light period for 2 weeks, then 2 weeks no spotting, then another light period for 2 weeks. And now I' ve been having bleeding (a bit too heavy to be called spotting and a bit too light to be called a proper period) since 31 December.... it' s driving me NUTS and in stead of assisting our sex lives (because I used to constantly worry about getting pregnant after 3 kids and the pill has failed me once already) it' s completely caused it to go into non-existant.

Also, my husband mentioned to me that he can " feel something funny"  when we do make love - like a round plastic protrusion which is not causing him excrutiating pain or anything but is noticeable none the less which makes me uncomfortable.

Do you think there could be something wrong? Should I go back to my gynae and have it checked out?

Thanks in advance

The bleeding unfortunately is normal when the Mirena is inserted. It can go on for up to 9 months. It may be that your husband is feeling the strings. These can be cut shorter if necessary.