Question
Posted by: Wilma | 2012/05/15

Mirena after my 2nd 5 year period?

Hi Doctor, I am 44 and reached the expiry 5 year date for my 2nd Mirena. Will I still be safe for another 3 or 6 months after this period e.g. 5 years and 6 months safe? I am very happy with my Mirena, (no periods, very little discharge very few times and no pain) but is there maybe something else that I can try?
Many Regards
Wilma

The Mirena needs to be changed after 5 years. You should not assume that you will be safe if you leave it for longer. At your age, the chances of pregnancy are small though not impossible. Your options are another Mirena, the Pill if you are not a smoker and have normal blood pressure, or a sterilisation.

1