Question
Posted by: Mary | 2011-05-10

Mirena after 5 years?

I know that Mirena should be removed after 5 years. It''s now been 7 years, as I have never gotten around to having it removed, as I just couldn''t be bothered. I am 55 years old &  have Endrometriosis &  been having menopausal problems for the last 10 years, which is why I was advised to have a Mirena fitted. I do not need it for Birth Control purposes, as my husband had a Vasectomy 20 years ago.

I have a lot of monthly cramping, (feels like 1st stage labour - I''ve had 4 kids, all natural childbirth). My life feels " wrong"  &  I have constant back-ache, disinterest in everything, not to mention the weight-gain (but Zero appetite)!!!! I am tired all the time, feel depressed and annoyed at everything!! This all started about 1 year after the Mirena was inserted.

I know I have to have it removed. Will all these side effects disappear after removal? What about the Endometriosis?? I can not &  will not have a Hysterectomy. I am a bad surgical risk.

Even if you do not need the contraception, the Mirena can cause problems if left. It can grow into the wall of the uterus and get stuck.This way be causing some of your discomfort. The other symptoms sound like menopausal symptoms and there are various thiongs you could try for this. Endometriosis tends to resolve after the menopause because you no longer have the cycleical hormonal chnages.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-05-13