Posted by: Karen | 2009-04-20

Mirena: 3 week long period

I had the Mirena inserted on 16 March 2009. At first I experienced a little bit of cramping similar to the feeling I had when I miscarriaged at 4 weeks in 2008. But it passed and all was fine. Then around 30 March I began bleeding and haven' t stopped since. Some days are slightly heavier than others, but I only use one tampon a day which is similar to my normal period. At night I only use a pantyliner and it' s fine.

I' ve read that it could be because the hormone level given off by the Mirena isn' t ' strong'  enough to sort my body out. I was on Diane and Minerva for about 15 years. I went off the pill in May 2008 in order to fall pregnant, but things changed and I have to postpone it for another 2 years. I went back on Minerva, but became so depressed that my husband begged me to get help. Since I' ve been on the Mirena I' ve been myself so I think it was the Minerva that caused it. I' m 31 and don' t have any children.

What can I do to stop the continuous bleeding?

Unfortunately this is a side effect of the Mirena and may go on for up to 9 months.

Posted by: Sybs | 2009-04-20

Hi Karen

I have the mirena for 1 year now and developed a cyst but it is fine now after taking medication. Pain on the right side of womb, lame feeling in right leg from time to time, gained weight and sometimes a unpleasant discharge. Other than the above-mentioned problems, it is nice to have.

The bleeding will stop in about a month to three months.

Good Luck.

Reply to Sybs