Question
Posted by: Mirena | 2011/01/20

Mirena

I need an urgent answer &  you always reply so quickly although you are not a gynae.
I was put onto HRT abt 8 months ago, I started menopause a bit early they say at 43. I bled for 3 months off &  on, they said give it another 3 I did. Then it continued for another 2 after that. I went to see the gynae again &  he suggested womb ablation& sterilisation (I have never wanted kids).I told my employer I needed an op - if you don''t dislcose it there is a prob despite the law.There is a gynae in the family. I was told that the gynae was after money &  to have mirena.My gynae did not recommend it 4me as I have bad allergies.I had it done anway (I nearly passed out from the pain).OK it stopped the bleeding for 10 days, now its bad &  I have dreadful cramps, nausea, dizziness.I am told it can happen.I am furious that I did not listen to myself or my gynae but agreed it was an inpportune time to take off work.I can''t go thru it like this.I also found out the gynae was supposed to giv me meds to help with the pain as I have a virgin womb.An expensive and futile exercise?Rush off to a new gynae?Tell my boss and his medical family to butt out of the employee''s lives?

Hi Mirena
The Mirena is usually the first choice for abnormal vaginal bleeding in a pre-menopausal woman. A womb ablation and sterilization is an option but it is much more invasive and one should try to always start with more conservative treatment. I think however, the doctor should have rather put the Mirena in under anaesthetic, as it is painful to put in through a tight cervix. You should let the doctor know about the bleeding and cramping as he may need to check that the placement is correct (with a sonar). If it isn't, insist on anaesthetic for removal or replacement. Most women do have a drastic reduced bleeding after 3 months with a Mirena. If you still bleed consistenly, and you need to remove the Mirena, I still think it was the right thing to try first. Ablation is not without risks and there is a chance that the operation is not succesfull.
See also
http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/private-operations/Gynaecology/hysteroscopic-endometrial-ablation/

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/01/20

Hi Mirena
See also