Question
Posted by: R | 2010/06/21

Mirena

Hi Doc,
I had the Mirena inserted almost 3 years ago. My question is, does mirena interfere with a woman''s hormones, resulting in less desire for sex. I had always enjoyed sex in the past, but for the past few years I put it down to the change in lifesstyle due to baby, but now things are much better as son is older, but my desire is just almost gone! It is frustrating. Could it be because of the mirena? I am only 32.
Can you please advise what to expect once I remove the mirena, would my menstrual cycle return to normal? What is the next best contraceptive to use?
Many thanks.

Decreased libido is not a common side effect of the Mirena, but I suppose it is possible. Once you remove the Mirena your cycle should return to normal within a few months. Your other options are the Pill or injection.

2