Question
Posted by: eve | 2010/02/25

mirena

Hi Doc, i had the mirena inserted on the 20th of January 2010 and on the 31st of jan i had my first menstruation with the mirena. its now almost a month later and i still have my period some days i spot heavily other days i spot lighlty. Now i saw that i have a clotty discharge which is a dark brown colour and my spotting is also dark brown and then turns red. please help i am not sure if this is normal or if it is a side effect of the mirena, must i hang in there? will it clear up eventually? I also feel quite bloated and have slight lower abdomial cramps on some days, is that also normal. I would appreciate any info.
Thank-You, kind regards

These are common side effects of the Mirena. The spotting unfortunately can go on for several months.

1