Posted by: CP MOM | 2009-02-17

I' ve been on the CS site for about 6 years....but I now have a problem I do not know how to handle.
My Cerebral Palsy daughter of nearly 12 has a little MinPin of 10 months, before she had a female one and the got along so well so when it died I got her this male one. She loves him so much and they play together a lot and she even leaves him some of her food with every meal. She' s mentally at the age of 3 and I find that she's started to encourage sexually inappropriate behaviour. What am i to do ? Please give me advice ? My mom suggests I give the dog away. But it' s not his fault! ....

I would suggest that you have him neutered straight away before his mounting and licking behaviour becomes habit. The mounting and some of the licking would be hormone driven but I suspect that most dogs would show that licking behaviour if motivted by the owner. You get a spray 'footsack' that dogs do not like at all that you can use as a deterrent on clothes etc. You can aslo have a spray bottle with water ready to spray the dog if he shows any behaviour that is not acceptable.

I do not know a lot about CP but at I do hope that you can correct the dog's behaviour with the advice.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-02-17

I can quite understand your problem, but while I agree that having the dog neutered is probably a good idea anyway, I believe you should be discussing this with your daughter' s professional caregivers.

She' s discovered something that she likes, and this is going to have to be managed thoughtfully and effectively, in such a way that it doesn' t affect her self-image.

In other words, while this is a behavioural problem, it' s not being initiated by the dog. He must be stopped and trained that this is not acceptable, but frankly, even if you gave him away and got her a new female puppy, I suspect you wouldn' t be out of the woods.

Best of luck!

Reply to Chill