Posted by: Brian | 2011-09-26

Minimum sperm count for AI

Dear Fertility Expert

I have been diagnosed with oligospermia, more specifically very low sperm count (approx 4.5 million). I am 34 yrs old and am still trying for our first child

Just want to know what is the minimum sperm count required to do an artificial insemination protocol.

Dear Brian

There are no protocols or criteria that are required to do artificial insemination. No only is sperm count important but so is the quality and motility important in assessing whether artificial insemination is a good option for you or not. If the motility is good and the morphology good and the sperm count is approximately 4.5 million, one could still do artificial insemination.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo