Question
Posted by: Tammy | 2010/02/08

Minimum exercise

Hi, I am on my own fitness programme and I have lost 3 kgs in 2 weeks. If all goes well, I' ll be at my goal weight in 4 weeks. How much exercise should I do then to keep the weight off. I was originally doing 40 minutes a day but I was still gaining weight but since I' ve introduces an extra 20 minutes during the week and an hour of exercise on the weekend days, I' ve been losing the weight. This has been quite difficult for me though. Once I' ve reached my goal, will 60 minutes 3 times a week, and 40 minutes on alternative days be enough to keep the weight off?

Hi Tammy

Good start, well done! Remember that as you get closer to the goal weight, it can become more and more difficult to lose weight, and so don't be too discouraged if you find that you are still a few kilograms off in 4 weeks' time.

Once there, you will keep it off using the same programme less maybe 10%, if that goal weight is correct. Remember the balance between energy in and out, and that you need to make sure diet is solid too. If you hit that goal weight, and cut down on the exercise, then you might just tilt back to being in energy surplus and gain weight slightly.

My advice is to gradually reduce the exercise, not to just jump from 60 min to 40 min, but rather to phase it down, and see where the point comes where you feel that you're training the right amount.

6
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/02/11

Hi Tammy

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: Mez | 2010/02/10

Thank you that sounds great, I will go look for it. I also get bored quickly so maybe this is what I need.
I am sorry to hear about your migraines, I really hope it gets better, my Gran used to have them so I know exactly how you feel.
Take care

Reply to Mez
Posted by: Tammy | 2010/02/09

It' s like a dance/ aerobics thing. You get it at Glomail. It' s quite hard to do some of the moves but it' s fun and it' s a great workout. I' ve been doing it for two weeks now which is amazing because I get bored easily but these past 2 days I haven' t done anything because of migraines.

Reply to Tammy
Posted by: Mez | 2010/02/09

HI Tammy

I have never heard of the Zumba thing, what is it, and where do you get it, sounds exotically cool and fun!! Probably more so than my bike, which my family has great fun in telling me I ride so far bit don' t get anywhere!!
I do the bike and then some floor work like abs and stretches.
But I am definitely going to do and hour.
Do tell more about Zumba though, please.

Reply to Mez
Posted by: Tammy | 2010/02/09

Hi Mez- I' m actually doing that new Zumba thing. I do my 40 minutes then I do say 10 minutes of the Sculpt and Tone and then 10 minutes of the Cardio Party or Flat Abs or something. Last week I did about an extra 10 minutes a day and I was really good with my diet and lost 2kgs. I' d really recommend the Zumba but it' s a bit expensive.

Reply to Tammy
Posted by: Mez | 2010/02/09

Hi Tammy

Please tell me what your fitness programme consists of, I have been doing 40 min on a bike for the last couple of weeks at home in the evenings, but don' t seem to be getting anywhere fast. I would really appreciate knowing what your programme consists of.
Thank you very much.

Reply to Mez