Posted by: diva | 2009-04-09

minimizing the flab

how do i lose my tummy flab without losing inches on my other areas, i.e bum,breasts,etc?

HI Diva

Difficult one. In theory, you don't approach the problem any differently to what you would if you had weight to lose everywhere. In other words, the body will store fat in specific places, but to lose that fat, you still need to adopt the same approach and that means cardio training to lose weight. Then, much in the same way as the body stores fat in specific locations, it will lose fat in those places too.

SO that's the theory - Unfortunately, a million sit-ups a day is not the sole solution. It certainly has a beneficial effect, as I’ll explain, but by itself is not the solution. So rather than becoming pre-occupied on one area, your aim should be to increase metabolic rate – that’s how you burn fat. You do through regular cardiovascular exercise, which includes cycling, aerobics, taebo, spinning, walking or jogging. You’re already doing this with your jogging, but you might consider how often you run (four or five times a week is ideal), and very importantly, the intensity (running speed). A small increase in intensity, even once a week, can have a big effect.

You should then combine this with some weight training. Weight training, which includes sit-ups, is helpful because it increases muscle mass (which has the long-term effect of raising metabolic rate) and because it literally helps create more muscle. More muscle means a more toned appearance. Just doing sit-ups is a start, but you can raise the impact by doing a variety of exercises that target different abdominal muscles. I’d suggest speaking to a trainer at the gym to discover these.

Finally, remember that diet is the great “enabler”. If exercise is perfect, but diet poor, then you undermine your progress. So cover that base, perhaps by seeing a dietician, and get cover all three bases.