Question
Posted by: marna | 2009-02-08

miniature pinscher

Hello,
My miniature pinscher is 8 years old and was the only `kid` in the house. My baby is 1 month old and the little dog doesn`t want to come near the baby. He bares his teeth when the baby comes near him. Is there something I can do to help the dog? He is also turning into a baby and refuses to eat.All he wants is the babies milk. I now give him also some Nan just to make him not feel neglected. Can it be harmful in the long run?

Thank you for your time
Marna

Hallo Marna<br><br>I have two comments here. Firstly, get a DAP diffuser and some Nutricalm tablets and use it for the first few months to help your dog settle down.<br><br>Secondly, I have heard about a woman who was so sorry for her Boxer pup after the birth of her baby that she breastfed them both at the same time to prevent long term pshycological harm to her Boxer puppy. There are limit issues here, as you can see.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2009-02-08

He obviously has his nose out of joint - he is no longer the centre of attention.<br><br>The only thing that' s going to make him feel ok is some undivided attention every day, and time - he' ll get used to the new circumstances in the end.<br><br>Stop feeding him Nan, ferheavensakes! Spoil him with a bit of droewors or something - he' s a dog, not a baby! Don' t worry about the not eating - no healthy dog has ever starved to death in the presence of food - when he gets hungry, he' ll eat. If you pamper him every time he cringes or whines, you' ll simply encourage him. Give him some time to sort his head out, and he' ll be ok. Meantime - do NOT leave him alone with the baby, not even for one minute - the risk is small he' ll do anything, but you can' t afford to take it.<br><br>And whatever you do, do NOT feel guilty. Even dog-packs experience changes from time to time - he' ll just have to adjust, that' s all. The best way to help him is to be matter-of-fact - but play with him and give him some dedicated affection, when it' s his turn.

Reply to Chill