Question
Posted by: Xero | 2008/09/11

Mini strokes and diet

Hi there Dietdoc
Hope you are fine?
My question is this:
My mom 66 has had a series of mini-strokes (she has underlying diabetes on tablets and hypertension on tablets. Both were under control but they have increased her dosage). she has bursitis/lipomas of the leg from toe to hip which they are leaving alone. I was not given info on how to care for my mom, what she should and how she should exercise with that sore leg. I am flat broke so I have no money and her day to day is up. Aside from the obvious care, keeping diabetes and hypertension under control (and her cholestrol is low) please can you advise briefly what she should definitely NOT be eating or drinking (she loves coffee), how I can help her exercise and just some advice. It was a big shock to her to find out what happened to her etc, and she doesn' t really rememember what she is supposed to do. I hate to say it but the doctor kind of brushed me off when I asked and said she knows very well. I looked at various articles and they scared the living daylights out of me. She has small vessel disease.
Xero Knowledge

Dear Xero Knowledge
I hear what you are saying and feel for you and your dear Mom. The Health24 website has a great many articles on each one of the problems your Mom is struggling with. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then do a Search (look for the little square that says 'Search' at the top of the page) using search terms like: Diabetes, Strokes, Hypertension, Small Vessel disease to find the articles on these subjects so you are more informed. Also click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI, because patients with diabetes should eat a low-fat, low-GI diet. Another excellent diet that is also low in fat and high in protective nutrients is the DASH Diet. Click on 'Food as medicine' and 'Hypertension' and read about the DASH Diet which was developed in the USA to lower bp. If you click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’, you should find a basic guideline on a diabetic diet too. As regards exercise is it at all possible for you to arrange that your Mom can swim (public swimming pool or at a friend's house) because swimming is an excellent aerobic exercise that will help for blood circulation and to control your Mom's diabetes. I would just make sure that someone is with your Mom when she swims and that you wait until it is warmer if you live in the Cape! Going for gentle walks and then increasing how far she walks (also accompanied) will also be highly beneficial. The lipomas will not be affected by swimming or walking.
I do hope that you will be able to put together a plan to care for your dear Mom and that she feels much better soon. By the way, the latest research indicates that coffee in moderate amounts (3-4 cups a day) is actually beneficial to health.