Question
Posted by: Lee | 2012/03/14

Mini Oatmeal digestives

Hello
Im trying to eat healthy and losing weight and I also suffer from constipation. I hate All bran flakes, I know its NOT gud hating all brans. i have discovered mini oatmeal digestives from Woolies. bUT coz Im trying to lose weight I dont know if they gud.

Here are the Ingredients :Wheat flour, vEGETABLE FAt which contains palm fat,Whey, emulsifiers, glyceryl, BROWN sugar, milk powders.

nUTRITIONAL INFO:
Energy PER 100g : 1814kj Energy per 30g : 544kj
Glcaemic carbohydrate per 100g : 66g / per 30g 20g
of which sugars per 100g : 15.5g / per 30g 4.7g
Total Fat per 100g : 13.4g / per 30g 40.g

Would you advise me to eat this when trying to lose weight OR SHOULD I stay away from them?? please assist.

Thank you in advance.

Dear Lee
You have listed all the ingredients of these Mini Oatmeal Digestives from Woolworths, but NOT their dietary fibre content per 100g! It is after all the amount of dietary fibre and the type of dietary fibre which determines if a food is going to help with regularity or not. I think that this is a pleasant product which you could use as a snack, but it is probably not a good substitute for a breakfast cereal because it contains nearly 16% sugar and 13.4% fat - thus not really a slimming food. Why don't you eat something like oats porridge (home cooked or instant plain flavour) and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of wheat bran over the cereal (buy the wheat bran at supermarkets or health shops). The oatmeal should make breakfast more pleasant for you and the wheat bran will help with the constipation.
Please click on 'Diet & Nutrition', 'You are what you eat' and 'Healthy colon' to read how to increase your dietary fibre intake and use probiotics to achieve regularity.

2
Posted by: Lee (the other one) | 2012/03/15

those cookies are yummy but will not help. I eat oats mixed wiht a bit of fat/sugar free muesli wiht plain yoghurt and prunes in the morning. Then green tea. It helps. keeps me full and regular.
All the best, Lee, from Lee.
PS - i also found that giving up bread wiht all the refined stuff in it has eased up my tummy problems including bloating - not saying it''s for everyone but works for my daughter and me.

Reply to Lee (the other one)

Dear Lee