Question
Posted by: Screwed up | 2008/10/15

MIND TOTALLY SCREWED

Hi doc

I' ve been adpoted by my parents as a child. My biggest dream was to get married, which I have w hile ago, and to have my own children. But I have this thing in my head telling me I won' t be able to have children, as my mom couldn' t have children...ridiculous I know, cause we' re not even biologically related.

I go to gynae every year and there is absiloutely nothing wrong with me. Its just that I am making myself sick worrying, will I be able to get pregnant, and obviosuly when we strat trying, I won' t get pregnant cause I' m telling myslef that I can' t conceive....

How do I remain positive and think happy thoughts?

Sometimes we do indeed get hung up on irrational concerns or fears --- of course your adopted mother's being unable to bear children has no effect whatever on yopur fertility --- its probably the reason she adopted you, and your birth mother was obviouslty fertile, or you would not have been conceived and born. Consider seeing a Cognitive=Behaviour Therapy CBT counsellor to work on getting rid of these irrational fears, so you can be happy and ready to conceive when you decide to do so