Question
Posted by: Bongi | 2012/10/02

Mind set

I am on average 58kg (hovering between 56 and 58) and I am 1.64m tall. So According to the numbers I should be at my ideal weight. My clothes also fit nicely, size 10 bottom and 8 top. My friends cpmliment me. But if I look at myself on the mirror I still see myself as really fat. Is it in my head? I eat regularly and exercise a lot but I feel very guilty about eating and I awlays wonder if I have exercised enough to burn enough calories.

Dear Bongi
With an ideal BMI of 21.6 you do NOT have to lose more weight or do more exercise. The idea that you are "fat" is all in your head as mentioned in my DietDoc Topic about the models and weightloss this week. If you find that you are constantly obsessing about your weight and engage in behaviour that borders on fanatic dieting or exercise, feeling guilty about eating, etc, then you could well be a step away from anorexia. Please go for professional help if these feelings increase or take over your life. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will be able to assess your condition and refer you if necessary to other health team members for support. If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on: www.riverviewmanor.co.za
Go for expert help ASAP.

1

Dear Bongi
Go for expert help ASAP.