Posted by: Jojo | 2009-03-31

can i give my 2yr old boy milo to drink or is it bad? is it fattening? can you recommend a good healthy drink for him that will help up his appetite and me nutritous and nice to drink? i dont like the follow on formulas nor does he. Preferably cow milk free? anything?

Dear JoJo
I can't figure out if your son is allergic to cow's milk or why you are looking for a product that is cow's milk free? I don't have the list of ingredients for Milo at hand, but as it is classified as a 'malted milk' drink, it may well contain some milk powder. If he is not allergic to cow's milk as such, you can perhaps serve him Milo made with hot water. 2-year-old children need some rich source of calcium like cow's milk to ensure that their bones and teeth develop properly. If he is allergic to cow's milk then you can use soya milk instead, just check that the brand you buy is fortified with calcium. To stimulate his appetite it may help to give him a kiddie's vitamin and minerals tonic.