Question
Posted by: essa | 2010-02-04

milk thisltle

is this benefitial for liver detoxifying? will i have to follow a diet to speed the process?

Dear Essa
I really don’t know why so many of my Readers feel they need to detox. Detoxing is a myth as you will see if you read my article "DETOX DIETS - DO THEY WORK OR ARE THEY HARMFUL?". Click on ‘Diet’ at the top of this page and then do a Search for the article. There is some evidence that milk thistle may be beneficial for the liver, but as I am not a homeopath I cannot really recommend its use. As I said to another Reader this week “To help your liver to function properly you need to cut out all alcohol and most fatty foods. Concentrate on eating fresh fruit and vegetables, low-fat milk and dairy products like yoghurt, very lean meat, fish and wholegrain bread and cereals. Only eat small quantities of pure olive oil and do not fry foods if possible. You also need to ensure that you drink 2,5 litres of liquid a day (water, tea esp rooibos, fruit juice, low-fat milk and only 1-2 cups of coffee per day). But do not start drinking excessive quantities of liquid or water because this can also be harmful. Ask your chemist for products like Pro-Hep or Guronsan and take them for a week to 10 days to help the liver recover.”.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-02-04

Dear Essa